Imagine a fun and adventurous weekend where you cruise through natural landscapes making it your perfect weekend. Now imagine doing this every single day, for a living. If you are the kind who could spend every single day with an adventure activity, a career in adventure sports in India may be the perfect choice for you.
What does it take for a career in adventure sports in India?
First and foremost, with a career in adventure and outdoor sports, you could find yourself working at different places at different times, and with different people. You never know what kind of opportunities your work could present you with.
It is not uncommon to find people in the field of extreme sports to have more than one area of expertise. Having expertise in multiple areas gives an instant boost to work opportunities. From the huge number of options of activities, finding more than one sport of your liking is not at all a difficult job.
Necessary skills for a career in adventure and extreme sports
- Good communication skills. You should be able to talk to all kinds of people and age groups through different activities.
- Expert and extensive knowledge of the activity and the equipment, the safety precautions that need to be kept in mind, the impact of weather and other external conditions on the activity, etc.
- Physical fitness and stamina.
How to start off with a career in adventure sports in India?
One of the most popular ways to go begin your career in adventure sports in India is starting off as an instructor at an outdoor sports activity center.
Eligibility for a career in adventure sports in India
A basic level of education serves well to kick off a career in adventure sports in India. A bachelor’s degree may serve as a benefit, but it is not exactly a necessity. The one important eligibility criteria for a career in this field is physical fitness. If you are interested in water sports, proficiency in swimming is required. Also, proficiency in a foreign language definitely serves as an add-on because being in the field of adventure sports you may have to deal with tourists frequently. This language proficiency will also help to land work in the field of tourism and travel.
Other traits and skills for a career in adventure sports in India
- An interest and aptitude in the field of adventure sports.
- The ability to handle risky, unusual, and thrilling activities.
- The ability to work in teams.
- Good leadership quality.
- First aid awareness.
- Survival training.
- An overall hospitable and sociable nature, to be able to deal with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Career prospects in adventure sports in India
Those looking to make a career in adventure sports in India can find work opportunities in commercial recreation centers, excursion agencies, travel and tourism agencies, holiday resorts, sports centers, etc. If you have ample experience in the field, you can even set up your own adventure sports agency where you can offer adventure sports services as well as training.
You can find job prospects as an adventure sports instructor, trainer, or an adventure sports photographer, depending on your interest, experience, and skill-set.
Where to study for a career in adventure sports in India
There are various institutions that offer adventure sports courses for a beginner as well as an experienced sportsperson. You can take up technical skills modules in various adventure sports, or even take up the course of an instructor. An internationally recognized instructor certificate can help you find work opportunities as an adventure sports instructor around the globe.
Here are some of the adventure sports institutions in India
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports
- Directorate of Mountaineering & Allied Courses
- High Altitude Trekking & Skiing Centre
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering
- Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering & Water Sports
- Mountaineering Sub Centre
- Nehru Institute of Mountaineering
- National Institute of Water Sports
- Regional Water Sports Centre, Pong Dam
- Regional Adventure Sports Centre
- Regional Mountaineering Centre, McLeodganj
- The Ballooning Club of India
- Winter Sports Skiing Centre